It was truly a weekend of doors. Over the past weekend, we moved two doors, and completely re-did our bathroom ‘barn’ style door. All three turned out better than we could have hoped.
Saturday morning we got up and got to work right away. My job was to remove the front door we have been using and demo that framed in wall. This was installed by the person we bought the container from originally, so he had put in a not-so-great 4×4 window, and a decent pre-hung door. We wanted to install that pre-hung door in the entrance of our new container, facing South. While I started the demo, Sheralee started reconstructing our bathroom ‘barn’ style door. We had already installed a version, but after some thinking, Sheralee came up with a much better style door.
First though, our morning started watching this little guy try and eat a bigger moth that just couldn’t get off the ground. Well, this little lizard was way over his head. He tried several times to take this moth away, but no doing. The moth was just out of his league.
Not much we could do but watch. Eventually the lizard moved on to other less daunting creatures, and I moved the moth to another location. I am sure he ended up the breaks for another lizard in the end…because there was a larger one watching the whole scene playing out. ha.
This was not the easiest demo, since there was a lot of wood glue and spray foam used, on top of a nail gun and screws. ha. It took a while, but I finally got it all cleared out. Next, we brought down the patio door that we had removed last weekend. Just a note, patio doors are NOT light, even though they are just vinyl and glass.
I framed in the new patio door in a great way. I used the two studs our guy had bolted to the container wall, and then since we were not centering the door, slid it over to one side and framed around it. Perfect!
That pretty much took up our Saturday. A full day, but very very product. Now we have a complete floor to ceiling view of the hill behind us. It is awesome!
Sunday morning, we first attacked the barn door hanging. Sheralee had completed the door on Saturday, so that was all ready to go. I just had to remove the metal track, and rework some studs to accommodate where the track would reside. It seemed to go really well. We had to go with the bigger lag screws that came with our kit, but that just made it easier. It is sturdy as can be, and looks AWESOME!
Sheralee used the 1/4″ plywood we had originally used, but she added 1×8 common board around the inside of the door, as a frame, and then stacked them on the outside of the door. Just looks wonderful! We are much happier with version 2 of the door.
While Sheralee finished up the door with trim along the sides, I got to installing the pre-hung door in the new container. I had framed it out months ago, so that made it easier. I just had to make two small adjustments, but overall the door just fit right in the space. I mean, after a fiasco of a time with our original front door, this was a piece of cake. Couldn’t have been happier.